Saturday, March 29, 2008

Get a Freakin' Clue

It amazes me that one could be around average Americans for months at a time traveling throughout all of the major, and several of the minor, cities in the U.S. and still be completely clueless about the struggles of my fellow citizenry. This was the thought running through my head while I watched the local news recap of John McCain’s visit to Orange County.

He was endorsed by Madame Reagan, the wife of the patron saint of the conservative movement, but managed to bumble through his comments on the economy. Americans are truly suffering right now, and not just the folks who were considered “working poor” or “one paycheck away from disaster”, middle class folks like me who have honest-to-goodness careers. I heard the story of one woman whose husband abandoned her leaving her to raise two kids on her income alone. She worked in the mortgage industry for years making $70,000 annually (which, for reference, the average salary for a college-educated, mid-career employee in Southern California is $65,000). She was laid off and has found herself having to ask for help from a food bank, while her mother has moved in with her to help support the household.

John McCain’s answer to all this suffering is that he doesn’t know that much about fixing the economy. Instead he went on a tirade about how stupid people were to buy houses they couldn’t afford, and that the government shouldn’t be obligated to bail them out. (Even though they’ve faithfully paid taxes?!?) I half expected him to start talking about how in “his day” you had to walk up hill both ways to get to a one-room school in the snow with no shoes. Grandpa was on a rant that today’s generation is too spoiled.

I agree to a certain extent that people were very careless by taking these ‘too-good-to-be-true’ loans, but I also recognize where their desire came from. Having a nice home is the cornerstone of the American Dream. When you read profiles of success stories they always include info about the subject’s home. Since January, there have been 3,000 home foreclosures in my county. What’s McCain’s response to this (aside from his Grumpy Grampy tirade about lack of responsibility)? He wants to give government money to mortgage lenders, so that they can incentivize people to keep their homes. Yep, that’s right, when faced with a groundswell of human suffering and defeat, let’s give all the cash to the pigfuckers who got us into this mess in the first place.

Sadly, this was all he would say regarding the economic crisis. The rest of his speech was all about Iraq, and how it’s really cool that we’re there…and hey that asshole in Iran could use a good woopin’…and how the glorious surge was working…and, even though 4,000 American soldiers are dead you got to break eggs to make an omelet…blah, blah, fucking blah. I can’t believe this is the same guy who I would have voted for back in 2000 when he was running against Bush. I’m not sure what happened over the past 8 years, but much like a bad marriage, this guy is nothing like the one I met via regular appearances on The Daily Show exchanging verbal spars with a then (yet even more clueless) Resident Bush.

It’s disturbing to me that he is one of three possible people that might lead our nation, and if he winds up with the top spot, the suffering that has happened so far will be nothing compared to the dismal state of life in 2010.

4 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It would be enough to turn me into a manic depressive if I wasn't already there. We need a revolution babe. All over the Western world. We aren't as corrupt as Zimbabwe or Nigeria and nowhere near as oppressive as China or Iran but....does being less bad make it good? Nope. You just described the UK in this post. Same shit different names.

On a lighter note. The wives of The Old Pretenders Football Club (www.oldpretenders.co.uk) upheld the pride of women of the world by becoming Penny Up The Arse Champions last night.

Thought you'd like to know ;-)

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably, it gets worse- the man apparently doesn't even know what his stance on sex education is. Pretty shoddy for a man who wants to run the country.

Anonymous said...

I'm terrified that he might actually have a chance to be president. It really keeps me up at night. If he makes it... God, I love this country but I can't imagine the state we'll be in at the end of his term. Revolution is right.

Anonymous said...

I'm terrified that he might actually have a chance to be president. It really keeps me up at night. If he makes it... God, I love this country but I can't imagine the state we'll be in at the end of his term. Revolution is right.