Thursday, June 08, 2006

Not The Gay Thing Again!

I don’t mind that my government has been hijacked; it was taken away decades ago by robber barons who were only interested in profit despite the great amount of human suffering it took to make the money. Our democracy is a joke anyways. This past election, we had two candidates who were both members of the uber-Upper Crust society, Skull & Bones, and would have probably hung out in college together drinking expensive, single malt scotch or snorting cocaine had they known each other. My main bitch now is that my government has been hijacked by neo-conservatives, and they are really fucking annoying!

A couple of months ago when this whole immigration issue was heating up to be the neo-con Hail Mary, I remember telling Jeff that it would be funny if this whole thing failed miserably and the GOP had to pull the gay marriage issue out of their ass (excuse the pun, but I couldn’t resist) in order to have a chance in hell of keeping themselves alive in November.

After watching the news these past few days, I feel like I should put a crystal ball in the center of the kitchen table and hang the gypsy fortuneteller sign outside my front door. Can you fucking believe these idiots are attempting to bring up gay marriage again to try and con votes in November!

Thankfully, our bigot-ridden Senate decided to defeat the measure to prevent the issue of gay people getting married from becoming a Constitutional amendment, and kicked the whole moral right to discriminate back to the individual states. Now the usual offenders: Idaho, Utah, Texas, most of the South, part of the Northeast, the bulk of the Midwest, and possibly the Southwest (if there are gays there) will probably pass some sort of law banning boys and girls from kissing boys and girls.

My opinion about gay marriage is this; anyone who wants to spend the rest of their lives picking up someone else’s dirty socks and yelling at that someone else to ‘put the dishes in the dishwasher instead of slamming them in the sink’, then go for it. The neo-con argument about banning gay marriage because it’s an attack on “traditional marriage” is a load of steamy horse shit. We have something around a 51 percent divorce rate in this country, so all us regular heterosexuals have done a fantastic job of fucking up marriage on our own. I’ve known enough gay couples in my life to know that the majority tend to be monogamous, so letting them get married, and adding them into the percentage may make our numbers look better. It worked for Regan when unemployment was really high, and instead of adding new jobs, he counted the military as employed, and then told everyone that unemployment was on the downspin and his administration was doing a stellar job. Regan really knew how to mindfuck.

Marriage shouldn’t be defined as one man and one woman, but one person who has decided to spend the rest of their days committed to another person. Today, I’m celebrating my four-year wedding anniversary. I met my husband 5 ½ years ago through a Jewish dating website, because I was living in Idaho at the time and it was impossible to find a single, Jewish guy above the age of 13 and under the age of 45. When he stepped off the plane for our first face-to-face meeting, I thought he was cute. After we were dating, I was smitten. We lived together for awhile, bought a house, and then got married.

A gay couple could tell the same story, only their marriage wouldn’t be legally recognized, because a group of neo-cons in Washington D.C. want to use the issue of “gay marriage” to overshadow more important things like the fact that they have used the federal budget like a college student on a drunken Spring Break vacation uses their parents’ credit card. Soldiers are still being killed and gravely injured in Iraq and our healthcare system sucks, but hey, those lesbians want to register for gifts at Pottery Barn, so we may need to alter the Constitution in order to “protect” the close-minded.

I’m glad I live in Washington State. It may not be the best place, and there are definitely problems here, but I have faith that my Blue State will see the light, let two people who care about each other go down the aisle, and spend the next however many years yelling, “No! I don’t know where you put your keys!” at each other in marital bliss.

10 comments:

Marvin said...

nice post. i agree - the state shouldn't tell you who to marry. btw, homosexuality is punishable by law (a really ancient victorian era one enacted, some people say, to stop soldiers from 'doing it' with each other) in my country, though it is never enforced.

Anonymous said...

You will soon see the return of 'American gladiators' on your tv.

This propaganda will send millions back to sleep so they dont have to think about important things such as the US genocide in Iraq.

Go back to sleep, your government is in control.


'inspired' by the late, great Bill Hicks.

dariasmama said...

We don't need more laws "protecting marriage". We need to strip away the legal advantages of being married by the state. Problem solved.

If there were no civil requirement for or advantage to being married, then it could be left up to individuals to decide whether or not they wanted to make their relationship binding. The funny thing is I don't think society would look any different if this happened.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Couples fall in love n get married. If they're real lucky they grow old together in relative bliss - apart from the odd frying pan incident - who the fuck cares if they're hetro or homo? Nobody with more than half a brain cell. I've been married nearly 21 years. One of my best mates has been 'married' nearly 12. Government needs to mind it's own business - we should be so lucky...

Melanie said...

dariasmama - My stepfather, who is quite conservative, agrees with this position as well. He has stated time and time again that the state or government has no business issuing marriage licenses. They should only issue partnership agreements, which would keep the separation of church and state as well as allow anyone to marry whom they want.

For most people, they don't feel complete in their commitment to another person until they go through some sort of public or traditional ceremony, so the government shouldn't have any business being involved with that aspect of marriage. If they try to pass any sort of "protection of marriage" act, they are simply upholding the standards of the church, and violating the shit out of the separation of church and state issue.

Just Another Crazy Guy said...

I have to admit, I kind of agree with the notion of getting rid of legal marriage altogether. If I ever find Ms. Right, I don't want the government interfering in my bliss. It's none of their business who she is, or even if she is a she. And in the meantime, I'm tired of the government handing out tax breaks and other such benefits to those who have that piece of paper saying they love someone.

After all, it's not my fault women are so picky . . .

Peace.

Just Another Crazy Guy said...

I have to admit, I kind of agree with the notion of getting rid of legal marriage altogether. If I ever find Ms. Right, I don't want the government interfering in my bliss. It's none of their business who she is, or even if she is a she. And in the meantime, I'm tired of the government handing out tax breaks and other such benefits to those who have that piece of paper saying they love someone.

After all, it's not my fault women are so picky . . .

Peace.

dariasmama said...

Justin: Actually the tax breaks were for those who weren't "legally married" until recently. The deduction now for married filing jointly is the same as two individual tax filers who pool funds (did that make any sense?). I was thinking more along the lines of medical insurance, child custody, any needed social services, etc.

A new Ron,ron,ron a new ron,ron said...

Gay people have as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.

A new Ron,ron,ron a new ron,ron said...

Gay people have as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.