Sunday, August 24, 2008

Black (and Minority) Women in America Should Be Pissed!

The family went bowling last night at one of these new places that does "cosmic" bowling. They have funky lights on all the lanes, music and big, flat screen televisions. For the first 30 minutes of our bowling session they showed the Olympics, which for me was the best of both worlds: family time + Olympic viewing. Once the Olympics were over, they switched to music videos, and that's where the trouble started.

I'll admit, I haven't seen a music video in a long time. The moment MTV started banning hard rock after the Grunge era, I was out. In the time that I haven't been video watching something terrible has happened; black and minority women have been turned into video whores.

I know this has been an issue amongst black women in the U.S. for quite awhile. I recently saw a panel on BET hosted by MC Lyte where prominent black women were discussing the problems regarding negative stereotypes and exploitation of their sisters in popular culture, but I really hadn't realized the extent until this eye-opening bowling session.

When I was still watching videos, there were regular appearances by amazing lady MCs who could bust out some kickin' beats. You couldn't argue with the talent of women like Queen Latifah, Salt 'n' Pepa with Spinderella, YoYo, TLC, and Sista Soulja. Now I'm wondering where all of the lady MCs have gone, or for that matter, positive minority female role models.

I grew up watching "The Jeffersons", "Good Times", "227", and "The Cosby Show", and in my young adult years, I really liked "Living Single" and the short-lived "All American Girl". All featured black and minority women in more than just the "standard" roles. Unfortunately, aside from Sandra Oh on "Grey's Anatomy", S. Epatha Merkerson on "Law & Order", Oprah, and precious few others, most of the minority women featured in television, and especially music videos are disposable eye candy.

No wonder minority women have come out so strongly for Barack Obama! At this point, I think they want Michelle Obama in the White House as much as her husband, so women of color can actually have an accomplished, intelligent role model to show their daughters. There are so many great women of all ethnicities with interesting stories to tell that it's just a crying shame only one negative image of them is prominent in our culture.

At this point, I think that women, particularly in the black community, should give a collective smack upside the head to the black men making the degrading videos. It would be one thing if the vast majority of minority women on television were portrayed positively (as in the Caucasian community), with just a little bit of skank (i.e. Girls Gone Wild), but when the only images are negative, further exploiting that image is irresponsible.

I would encourage both women and men to help combat these images by limiting your child's exposure to negative stereotypes. Even if you're a white person with white kids, having them see minority women portrayed as whores will give them subconscious ideas of superiority that permiates the notion of a power structure based on skin color. Also, the next time you want to watch something interesting and entertaining, search the internet for a list of independent movies or books written by minority women. "Mi Vida Loca" was a very good movie about two young Mexican women growing up in Los Angeles, and "The Color Purple" is one of my favorite films of all times. Trust me, these flicks are better than the run-of-the-mill, blow 'em bullshit, no plot crap that Hollywood has been spewing out lately.

For those who want deeper involvement in changing the culture, organizations like The Women's Media Center [www.womensmediacenter.com], are working to make women of all backgrounds and ethnicities, and their stories heard.

Although I look forward to my family's next bowling adventure, I think I will opt for an ally that is a little more Rockabilly, because I'd rather have my daughter listen to a crooning and fabulous Pasty Cline than ask me why those half naked ladies are considered "bootylicious".

1 comment:

Beezle said...

One of the most enlightening classes I took in my brief stint at college was "Diversity in Theater." We read, analyzed, and discussed plays that tackled what brews racial tensions and negative stereotyping in modern society. Our text was, "Contemporary Plays by Women of Color." If you go to a used book store or search online, it's available. There are dozens of plays written by women from every imaginable race, time, and geographic locale. Can't recommend it enough.