Sunday, November 04, 2007

Thought of the Day: Out-of-Town Work

I just got back from a 3 1/2 day event in Ojai, California. Ojai is, what they commonly refer to as, a 'one horse town' (i.e. boring as fuck). There was nothing to do other than the event, and on the second day during my 12th straight hour of work I smirked at the girlhood notion I had about going out of town on business being a glamorous thing.

I used to dream about flying off to do important work for my company, but that was because I grew up in a town very similar to Ojai, only with slightly more drugs, crime and teen pregnancy. Idaho, I still hate you. I enjoy my job, my co-workers rock, and I have the priviledge of working for a man who I think is somewhat of a genius despite his tendency to be a bit demanding. However, I would be lying if I failed to admit that from time to time I longed for the slow pace of my former job at The Facility.

Perhaps with more time on my hands I would do more writing, workout more, and become way more politically active, but most likely, I would think about doing all of those things, but just end up complaining about how boring my job is. Truth be told, I love being able to build my new department from scratch, and being in the thick of a chaotic event. It's fun, and at the end of the day, you feel like you accomplished something, but again, I'd be lying like a presidential candidate if I didn't admit that sometimes boring can be a bit relaxing.

Thankfully, we don't have anymore plans to do events in Ojai, because now that I've been there, I have no reason to go back ever again.

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It sounds vaguely Japanese - which is a wory before you get there...