Friday, January 04, 2008

Looking Forward to 2008

I'm excited for 2008. 2007 was kind of a drag; too much shitty economy, too many people losing their homes, too much media coverage of suicide queens and dysfunctional trainwrecks, and finally, WAY too much Bush Regime.

This year we get to elect someone new, and I'm really excited that, given the performance in Iowa, it might be Barack Obama. I still worry that my country is too caught up in the race issue, but maybe all of us progressives can come out of the woodwork and let the small-minded vote for Huckabee the Dominionist. Even those who affiliate with Christianity don't want to be the type of buttoned-down, uber-conservative Christian that Huckabee has in mind. A new leader with fresh ideas and optimism will help get the economy back on track, and will lay the groundwork to get us the hell out of Iraq...finally.

Although Brittney is on the Anna Nicole lifepath plan, I think people are actually getting sick of hearing about her. She hasn't done anything musically since that gawd-awful "comeback" on MTV, and being famous for acting like drunken, drugged out, trailer trash isn't likely to be too cool in the optimistic '08 year.

On a personal level, we bought a house and get to move into it later this month. I know I've said it before, but this time I mean it; I'm not moving for at least 10 years minimum. That's right, I'm hanging up my gypsy shoes and sprouting roots. I'm also looking forward to finishing the re-org of my department at work. It's coming along well, but I want to take it all the way to the bank.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to a year of hopeful thinking. These long, sad, grueling years of life under the Bush Regime have not been happy ones. They ruled by reminding us that we should be afraid of everything. They took all of our money and put it into funding defense contracts won by companies owned by them and their friends. They took our country's honor and reputation and shit all over it, but that's all over now. Americans are no longer fearful, they are no longer willing to blindly give over their rights and control of the national treasury to robber barons, and they are no longer willing to be told that the future is grim. 50 years ago a black man couldn't get into a restaurant with white people, now there's one on the way to the White House, that makes me damn proud, and very optimistic.

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It's about time the states caught up with the Brits! We elected a woman to run the show a long time back and....

...oh. yeah. um....

Actually I quite admired Margaret Thatcher - which is a sacriligeous thing for a union rep to say so shhhh. She made a couple of major cock ups with the Pole Tax and way over the top anti union legislation but, apart from that, she was fantastic. She was patriotic and, I think, the greatest PM since old Winnie.

I admit I don't know how I'd react to a black or asian PM over here. If I'm honest I doubt I'd like it. Maybe it's an age thing? I'm not a racist but I am uncomfortable with 'foreigners' achieving power in the UK. It's bad enough having a Scotsman in Number 10. As we're a small island, whilst we readily accept immigrants, (several are very good friends of mine) we struggle to percieve them as English or British - even second, third, fourth etc generation.

President Obama?

He worries me and I haven't a clue why. The US are long overdue a black or woman Pres. You guys really are multi-racial and multi-cultural but he seems such a nice guy. Can a politician really be such a nice guy?

Could he be worse than Bushwhacker?

No.

Elect him eh?

Have a great 2008 x

(wow! I am waffling tonight aren't I?)