Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thought of the Day: Unwanted Opinions

One of my biggest pet peeves happened today: somebody asked my opinion, and when I told them what I thought, with quite a bit of tact and honesty, they totally rejected it. The annoying part was, not only did they reject it, they basically stated via email that they really didn't want my opinion in the first place.

It seems like a new, more aggravating form of political correctness; the asking of the opinion when what someone really wants to do is tell you what to do, only they don't want to be seen as some kind of tyrant or asshole. Instead, they want you to smile and nod and support their idea, even if it's premature and will be a complete strain on already limited resources.

In this particular case, I didn't say the idea wasn't doable, I just said it wasn't doable right now, and that's my job (which is why I was asked to give my opinion in the first place). To put it bluntly, I'm not some mindless "yes" girl. I like to take an idea, make an assessment of the resources needed to implement the idea, then once the resources are in line, map out a process that will generate success. I don't do things half-assed, and if you ask my opinion I will give it to you even if it's the one you don't want to hear.

On top of all of this superficial, "I really do want your opinion" charade, I was also, in so many words, told I wasn't open to new ideas. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I'm the first one to be on board with a new idea. I don't like stagnation, but I'm not so careless that I'll jump into something on a whim especially when it affects people who depend on me. Like I said, I will give you the opinion I have, even if it's the one you don't want to hear.

Unfortunately, this whole "opinion" gathering ordeal isn't over, so I'll have to go through this bullshitfest again tomorrow.

All I can say is sometimes people make me so pro-nuclear.

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Nuke 'em for me 'n all ;-)

This creature must be in management. Management always like opinons that agree with theirs. It's traditional.

Just as a matter of curiosity - or not - I was a manager once (actually thrice but what the hell?)

I was so bored at a 'management meeting' I asked who would bet me £50 that Oldham Athletic wouldn't be promoted. They all bet me. Caz was upset. Bankruptcy loomed. Oldham were promoted. Not one of the wankers paid up. That's management for you.

Nuke 'em x