Thursday, July 25, 2013

Revenge of the Weiner

I have to take a moment to sound off about this Anthony Weiner scandal, not because I want to.  I don't live in New York City.  I don't care who they elect as mayor.  I am not interested in who sends naughty pics to who.  My beef with this scandal is not about his indiscretion, but about the way the media is making Huma Abedin out to be some sort of idiot doormat.

I liked Anthony Weiner as a politician.  I felt that he fought for some strong, progressive legislation, was a champion for the working class, and I agreed with most of his politics.  When he was busted the first time, I really didn't care about what he had done.  My philosophy has always been that it's no one's business how you get your freak on, as long as it's done between two consenting adults.  I didn't think it was necessary for him to resign the first time, but he did.

I thought the worst part of him getting caught the first time was that he was stupid to think that the photos wouldn't get out.  In the great age of the internet, every photo and piece of info you put out there is subject to regurgitation at any time, by anyone for any reason.

When Tony decided to run for mayor, I wasn't surprised.  You can never keep a good politician down. I didn't think for a second that the scandal would matter much to most New Yorkers, because they are a fairly down-to-earth group of people.  Plus, after two terms of Mayor "Fee Increase" Bloomberg, they could use someone way savvier to run their city.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Tony will get his chance to run the Big Apple, because he was busted again sending dick pics.  Again, I don't care how one gets off and I don't want to hear about it.  I don't want to see the twits or the pics.  I don't want to hear some spin-crafted explanation from him or Huma.  I didn't care when Bill Clinton screwed around on Hillary, or when Elliot Spitzer got busted with hookers, or when Mark Sanford made his trip to Argentina, or when any other politician got caught having extra-marital relations, because it is personal.  It is that particular couple's issue to deal with, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people probably feel the same way.

The one thing that resonated loudly during this whole Weinergate scandal is Huma telling the press that she has forgiven him and that this issue is private.  She is 100% correct, and I'm really sick of people, newspapers, pundits, and what not, bashing this woman.  I realize that the whole "stand by your man" political wife thing is old and can look somewhat degrading.  However, we don't live in their marriage. We don't know them, personally.  We don't know what they talk about at night.  I think what everyone might be worried about is the possibility that maybe Huma doesn't give that much of a damn.  Perhaps she's more upset about the public embarrassment than she is about Tony talking to internet women that may or may not exist.

He is a dumbass for not learning his lesson the first time.  At this point, I don't think he should be mayor, because he's an idiot, not because he did freaky things to get off.  As for Huma, she is a strong, smart lady.  I think she is more than qualified to make her own decisions about her relationships and family without the rest of the world sounding off.


No comments: