Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thought of the Day: Old Guy Dads

Actor Nick Nolte and his girlfriend just had a baby. She looks like she's about my age, and Nick is 66. There is quite an alarming trend of men over the age of 50 becoming dads, and I'm wondering what the hell is prompting this.

I've been a mom for nearly four years, and I'll be the first one to tell you that kids are not the key to the fountain of youth. I didn't have to use wrinkle cream before the girl was born. I wasn't as stressed, I got plenty of sleep, and my boobs looked far more fabulous.

Most guys I know over the age of 50 want to remain vital and active, but on their own terms. If you ask them, their idea of vitality doesn't involve diapers or wiping snotty noses. In fact, most guys over the age of 50 want to deal with other kids issues such as helping them choose a good college, or planning graduation parties.

I know there are a lot of men out there who think that having that young wife would be a lot of fun, but with the young wife comes her young wants and young needs as well as her biological clock. I guess the advantage in all of this is that if you have a really old dad, with any luck, you can both wear the same brand of diapers.

2 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

[shiver]

FOUR DINNERS said...

It'll never happen to me. If I ever arrive at an age were I need a nurse to wipe my arse I'm toppin' myself. Guarenteed.