Saturday, October 27, 2007

Thought of the Day: Smoke Inhalation

My new state of residence has been on fire. On Monday, it took me 90 minutes to get to work, because they blocked off most of the roads leading to work. We wore masks all day, and had our equipment vans loaded for evacuation. The Santiago fire, which is still going strong, came within one mile of my building. The next day when I drove home all I saw was charred hill after charred hill.

Sounds bad, but I'm grateful, because to the south San Diego has been on fire far worse than Orange County. They had to evacuate a million people and nearly 2,000 homes were burned to the ground. These fires, which have left nearly all of my fellow Southern Californians with chest pains and breathing issues, and have made my toddler sound like a three-pack-a-day smoker, are being referred to as superfires.

Global warming experts predicted these superfires five years ago, and the Bush Regime did nothing. I guess they couldn't make any money from it, so they said "fuck it", now 2,000 families in San Diego are homeless. I'm just left with a whole lot of anger and frustration. The next bastard who comes up to me and denies the existence of global warning gets a slap upside the head from this girl. In fact, we should take all of the deniers and make them volunteer on the fire crews, so that they can see first hand the damage they've done by supporting neocon and big oil propaganda. Meanwhile, I'll be hanging out inside with my air purifier trying to explain to my three-year-old why we can't take Fozzy for a walk today.

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It's gettin' 'warmer' over here too. Still the traditional
'British summer' of rain n drizzle but some'ats changin'.

It's too warm for the time of year. In 50 years it hasn't been quite like this.

Think I might move to higher ground soon....