Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Are You a Hot Mom?

The Today Show wasted five minutes of the world’s time asking the all important question: are you a hot mom. The segment featured some valley girl type who had written about book, considered the “guide to,” being a hot mom, and a hip hop fashion editor. They did some bashing of mommies who had the nerve to wear sweatpants, and talked about how moms had to step it up in terms of fashion in order to feel complete. Finally, the piece ended with the mandatory makeover of three moms, only one of which had a child over the age of two (her new look was ridiculous, by the way).

On one hand, I’m happy that our society has begun the cultural dialog of acknowledging that just because a women has children doesn’t mean she becomes asexual. However, I’m not at all comfortable with the idea that, as a mother, my sexuality is being defined by 20-something, single men. Ever since the movie American Pie brought the “MILF” (mom I’d like to fuck) concept into the social arena, it seems that us mommies are being told that raising kids, keeping a home, doing laundry, working a job, driving the carpool, maintaining a spousal relationship, and trying to find at least a half a minute to focus on ourselves, pales in comparison to us working on trying to be sexy.

Most of us do have our sexy moments, but they don’t usually coincide with grocery shopping or giving the toddler their nightly bath. One of the benefits to becoming a mother is figuring out that the world is about more than just the superficial. You give birth to a human being who you are responsible for, and whether you are religious or not, that’s pretty damn spiritual. The majority of the mothers I’ve met become deeper people when their children are born, so why do we constantly have other women telling us that the most important thing we can do for ourselves is enjoy an expensive spa makeover?

I would love to roll out of bed, and in the one hour that I have to shower, get dressed, get my toddler dressed, fix breakfast, pack my lunch, put on my makeup, dry my hair, feed the dog, and get out the door in time to get to work, look like a fashion plate, but it’s not happening. On the occasion that I go clothes shopping, I get fashionable items that look good on me. I workout regularly, keep a healthy diet, and moisturize consistently, but as a mommy I’m not willing to give up a day at the pool with my toddler, because I don’t look as good in a bathing suit as a non-mommy chicky in her early 20s.

This latest hot mom trend has women who have given birth trying to compete with women who haven’t, which doesn’t make sense. Those of us who have given birth know that with mommyhood comes stretch marks, droopy boobs, wider hips, late nights and tired days. Our bodies change, and so do our priorities. Those of us who are fortunate enough to have great partners know that they find us attractive despite the aforementioned laundry list of motherhood war wounds. In fact, as long as we’re not too tired at night to put out, they are happy overlooking the fact that we aren’t on the cover of the latest fashion magazines.

It’s sad to think that the cultural marketing spin doctors are advocating that moms should only feel sexy if they happen to be jerk-off fodder for the young teenage guys in the neighborhood. This may make for fabulous plots on Desperate Housewives, but if you think about it in terms of real life, it’s kind of creepy and unsettling. We might give a high-five to Demi for hooking that young Ashton, but personally I like someone who can hold a conversation that reaches beyond the topics of the late night menu at Taco Bell and the mastery levels of the latest X-Box game.

I am a hot mom, but not by the standards of the so-called gurus on The Today Show. Sometimes after a hard day’s work, I like settling into the old pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I may not be able to sport the latest fashions and keep up with my childfree, 20-something counterparts, but I have more depth than they do. Most of all, I have the one thing that makes any woman, no matter who she is or what she looks like, sexy: confidence. I know exactly how to please my man, and I do it quite well without the striptease dance lessons, uncomfortably trashy, stiletto heels, Botox injections, or unsolicited advice from a pretentious bitch with a book and a hip hop fashion editor.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!
Its yet more of the objectification of women. MILF indeed.
I love my mrs, she is a mum, she isnt the same girl I knew 11 years ago, she is much more.

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE... what you wrote here... being a single mom... I wish there were more men that could appreciate a mommy body....

FreedomGirl said...

The notion of chasing toddlers in kitten heels is freakin' ridiculous.

We evolve when we become parents. And evolution is sexy.

Beezle said...

I live in Manhattan and work as a full time nanny. I come across some of the most pampered, glitzed out, and downright spoiled moms. I happen to work for a great family that treasure their time off of work with their children. However, I do come across the occasional mother who will gladly forfeit three hours of quality time with her toddler to go spend a day shopping and getting treated royally at variuous places on 5th Ave. While I'm not a parent yet, I do know that when you enter the incedible realm of parenthood one of the first lessons learned is that it's not just about you anymore. While self-preservation is totally neccessary to maintain your sense of being (and you sanity), excessive outings to the salon, spa, and clothing boutiques in lieu of staying with your child are just selfish and superficial.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Little Caz is a hot mom too. I think so anyroad.

Alex said...

I post this long, crazy tirade on this a while back, which went something like this:

Can I just slap these women? Seriously, can I just barf and then slap these women?

"Uh, like, HI! Like, I'm soooo HAWWT! And I'm a mom! I'm like, hawwttt and a mom. OHMYGAWD! I'm a HOT MOM!"

And don't give me this dribble, "A Hot Mom can be eighteen or ninety-eight, a size two or a size twenty two, have one child or fifteen! A Hot Mom can wear a business suit, or ride motorcycles....A Hot Mom is about being the best YOU, about being a woman who radiates confidence from the inside out. A Hot Mom is a woman who loves her family but and herself and doesn't get lost in the madness of motherhood. A Hot Mom is a woman who knows how to balance her needs as well as the needs of her family. A Hot Mom is a BETTER mom! A Hot Mom is a BETTER lover! A Hot Mom is a BETTER friend! EVERY mom can be a Hot Mom!" Hello?! You call yourselves HOT MOMS, I don't give a shit how much you try to sugarcoat it and make it about being a giant POSITIVE sisterhood. YOU CALL YOURSELVES HOT MOMS!

They talk about not being a mom stereotype, yet tell want to be labeled anyway. This entire concept just pisses me off to no end. This is on the same level as those women who are self-proclaimed "MILFs" and think it is soooooo KEWL to be thought of in that way. And I bet a large number of these women are also too posh to push.

I am a woman. I have a child. I am smart. I am attractive. I am funny. I am moody. I am nice. I am not nice. I am many things -- but I will never, NEVER be part of this ridiculous pseudo woman-power "empowering" group. Shit like this really makes me embarrassed to be a woman sometimes, ya know?

If any of these broads burned their bras, it was probably so we all could gawk at their nipples...


*whew*

Crazy thing was, I wasn't even on a roll yet!

dariasmama said...

For me to become today's standard of "hot" would require a couple of major surgeries. I don't think I'd mind the gastric bypass so much...but the lobotomy would suck.

Adrienne said...

Yes, you're definitely running a close second on being my favorite blogger of all time.

I really enjoyed this, thanks.

P.S. I'd like to let you know that my word verification, is Osama. Creepy.

Anonymous said...

I kind of gave up on the idea of being a hot mom when I realized that I could no longer go an entire day without being puked on. I completely agree with everything you said. It's about finding out what hot means to you, not to everyone else. And by my standards, I'm one sexy bitch.

Velma said...

I love this post. I feel the exact same way, and for the most part I manage to ignore what I know NOT to be true, i.e. that I'm not valued because I'm not a MILF. I get ticked off at myself when I start to feel cranky and inadequate because of my weight or my inability to look good in the latest (for 20-year-olds) fashions, but then I realize that I'm getting sucked into a totally false premise. I'll be back to read this again the next time I'm feeling mean to myself.

Braindead Betty said...

My husband says I'm never sexier than just out of a tickle-fight with our toddler. Hair mussed, breathless, smiling, and drool all over my stomach.

I must say, this is my first time visiting your blog, and I love it. Bookmarking you for sure

Anonymous said...

I am a hot mom. I recently seduced a 10-years-younger guy friend by mistake. I am married and in love, and find it weird that my clear happily-married-with-two-kids status doesn't give me immunity from guy-friends falling for me. I am really confused about this whole thing. On the one hand, I am, at heart, a guy's girl. When I got married I lost most of my friends, who were guys, because I was suddenly unavailable, or something. It was just too weird for them, even though my husband is totally ok with me being friends with guys. When I make guy friends now, I expect them to respect the fact that I am not available in the normal way. In many ways, this often makes things easier--there is no sexual tension to defuse, it just can't exist. But then these weird things continue to happen, like this younger guy friend crossing the line and going for it with me. It's a huge ego trip for me, I guess, being married for 10 years with kids and of course having the saggy boob thing etc. But on the other hand, it would be nice to be clearly taken off the market and have guys respect that and be my friend. I think if you didn't shut down this discussion to begin with by slagging the whole hot-mom concept you might get a few more people being honest about this too. We don't lose our sensuality just because we have given birth.

Melanie said...

Anonymous - I didn't say that women lose their sensuality once they've had children, what I did say was that I didn't want that sensuality to be defined by single, 20-something males. I'm glad that our culture has begun to recognize that mommies can be sexually viable people, but mommies should not be compared to the Americanized ideal of sexually viable females, because that female is in her early 20s, single, and childfree.

The fortunate thing is that society is acknowledging that women who have children are sexual beings, the unfortunate thing is that they are framing the issue in a context that is completely wrong, and will only serve to further the notion that the physical appearance is more important than anything, including your children.