Monday, November 19, 2007

Thought of the Day: A Dubious Honor?!?

So Jeff and I are sitting at the table having dinner, because it always happens during dinner, when from the bathroom Rachael yells in her 3-year-old voice, "I'm done going poopy, who's going to wipe my tushie!"

My spouse and I sit there in a dead-silent staredown. This deed has to be done, because I would hate to see how many bottles of laundry soap we would go through if we let her do the job herself. She's not that good at it, and the result is more disgusting than the task at hand. She yells again, "Who wants to wipe my tushie!" Then the negotiations begin. "I've been with her all weekend," he says playing to my guilt. "Yes," I interject, "but I've already wiped her once today." (Still a good mom despite having to go out of town for an overnight work event) For the third time, a little more irate, "Is somebody going to come wipe my tushie! Mommy! Daddy! Come wipe my tushie!"

She's too young to realize that finishing her off in the bathroom is neither a pleasant experience, nor is it an honor, but she thinks it is. I finally cave and show up ready to do the dirty work, and she grins from ear-to-ear. "You get to wipe my tushie, Mommy." Lucky me. Funny, they never mention this shit in those glossy parenting magazines.

2 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

"It's a mothers duty" I once said to Caz.

After picking myself up off the floor I acknowledged defeat....

Beezle said...

Oh man can I relate to this blog. About a year ago, I finally trained Ryo to wipe his own bum. I think in all my years of childcare experience, that was one of my proudest (and most relieving) moments. Now on to train Mina...