Friday, November 16, 2007

Thought of the Day: Firsts

First times are usually cool like the first time you get kissed or the first time you fly or the first time you hear your favorite band or the first time you eat one of those awesome holiday chocolate truffles from Trader Joe's. I had a first this week, but it sucked. I got strep throat for the first time.

It put me flat on my ass for 2 1/2 days at the beginning of a very busy week, which always makes me feel behind the eight ball. Instead of allowing myself to heal properly I end up rushing to get well, and the sickness just lingers. Oh well, little kids are disease boxes and I live with one, so illness comes with the territory.

I did have some awesome hallucinations while on hardcore medications, although one was particularly freaky. I was the sickest right before my mom's yartzeit (Jewish traditional commemoration of the anniversary of a close family member's death), and I was having an in-depth conversation with her about the usual such as why she lied to me most of my life, and all the other screwed up things she did during my childhood.

This was unhealthier than the strep itself, because I was light-headed, nauseated, my throat was aching, and on top of all of that, I was pissed. Thankfully, I'm feeling much better, and the memory of my hallucination conversation has mostly disappeared, but this is one first I won't remember fondly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, strep throat is the worst. I got it like three years ago. Full on fever, nasty sore throat, and every other ache and pain you can think of. The meds they gave me didn't kill it all, so the cough lingered on and on. Finally went back to the doc and she gave me a cough syrup that was almost pure codeine. Ah, the fun dreams and hallucinations I had with that. Let's just say you should never go camping while on that stuff.

Feel better and don't rush!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Yeah but you did have hallucinations!!!

Best first ever? My first Shami Kebab - food of the Gods. Spent 30 years trying to find one that tastes as good as that first did...

Hope yer better soon babe x