Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hey Geoff Tate, Let's Make a Deal

I don’t wax nostalgic too often. My past is my past, and it is something I’ve had to reconcile at my own pace. However, every once in awhile I have a great experience that brings back fabulous memories while, at the same time, making me smile at the thought of what the future will hold. Tonight was one of those nights.

18 years ago I remember a bizarre, 30-second television commercial. A black and white illustration with a strange symbol in yellow that I had never seen, a crowd of people screaming, and a voice exclaiming, “Do you want freedom, or do we want equal rights…”. It caught my attention, and the next day after consulting with my friend Shane, who in my little teenage world, was the expert on music, I hopped on my 10-speed bike, hauled ass to the mall, and bought my first Queensryche album, Operation: Mindcrime.

Despite my tender age, I had already developed a healthy distrust of the government, and my favorite book was George Orwell’s 1984, so the storyline in Operation: Mindcrime was (disgustingly cliché pun) music to my ears. Two days later, I got back on my bike, hauled ass to the mall once again, and bought Queensryche’s three prior releases. I’ve been a fan ever since.

A few months ago, when I heard that the band was releasing Operation: Mindcrime II, I was all over it. The first one had left a mystery of an unsolved murder, and since it was 18 years later, they had to reveal who killed Mary, right. I bought the album, this time foregoing the bike trip, record store visit, and instead opting to order it over the internet. I listened to Mindcrime II twice, yet I still didn’t know who killed Mary. Now I was just fucking annoyed.

Queensryche is from the Seattle area, so part of me felt like just tracking them down and calling them up, or cornering them at the grocery store, and asking them to do some explaining, but that would have been a bit psycho. About the time that I was going to send a random email to their fansite, they announced a tour, which would feature a live, theatrical performance of both Mindcrime albums. I bought my ticket in two seconds, and tonight attended the show. I now know who killed Mary, and kudos to Queensryche, because I didn’t see that coming!

Aside from great music, I was also taken for a ride of pleasant nostalgia that I hadn’t expected. The entire first album brought me back to my small town in B.F., Idaho, riding my bike around with friends, listening to cassette tapes in a boom box while all of us walked home from school a group of ten kids enjoying the sun, and dreaming of the day when I would pack my bags and head to Seattle for good.

Who would have thought that in 18 years I would have earned two degrees, traveled to all over Europe and down to South America, achieved my dreams of working in the music industry, met nearly every famous person I’ve ever wanted to meet, gotten married, made it through a divorce, then got married again (this time doing it right), became a mom, and ended up living in the ‘burbs. The amazing thing was that when I heard this great music it evoked the same reaction it had the first time I heard it 18 years prior.

I have often struggled with the life I lead now wondering if sometimes I have lost myself in this suburban existence where motherhood, wifely duties, and my job seem all consuming. Tonight I was able to realize that I am all of those things, but I am also that optimistic person who is not afraid to push herself to make her life have relevance, and I like feeling that way.

Since I don’t want to lose that optimism, here’s the deal I want to make Geoff Tate. Geoff, if you, the rest of the guys, and I are still alive and well in 18 years, keep your pipes in shape, encourage the guys to keep their game up, book a show at The Moore (or whatever theater is standing that isn’t owned by Clear Channel or House of Blues or some bastard hybrid of the two), and I will be there. I don’t know if I’ll be living in Seattle, but I will drag my butt back here for it.

Sure, you might be one year away from qualifying for the senior discount at Denny’s and I’ll still be reeling from celebrating my 50th birthday the year prior, but if we are both still able, grab Scott, Eddie, both Mikes, and Pamela, and let’s all come together to celebrate an amazing work of music that should, in no way, ever be forgotten. I can promise you that more than a few ‘Ryche fans will be there to join me, but I can’t guarantee we will all be standing through the entire performance next time. What do you say, Geoff, The Moore Theater in Fall 2024? Unless I’m dead, I’ll be the first online for a ticket (or however they get tickets sold 18 years from now). Do we have a deal?

3 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Dunno who Queensryche are but you've peeked me curiosity. I'll have a listen. As for 2024, I'd come along for the laugh but I'll probably forget as Alzheimers will have set in. Or I'll be snoozing in me armchair...enjoy the reunion!

Camie Vog said...

I am sorry to say this but, I refuse to listen to Queensryche, ever. They were my ex-husbands favorite band after Judas Priest. I didn't like them when I was married, and I promised myself when I left him that I would never subject myself to him or them again.

I do want to say that, I love your profile pic.

Melanie said...

Camie - Understandable. My ex was really crazy about Nirvana, and thankfully, I can listen to them without thinking of him, but I know where you are coming from. However, it was a fantastic show, and Geoff Tate has the best voice!

Thanks about the pic. I liked Rachael's baby blahhh photo, but she gave me a verbal cease and desist, so I can't use it anymore.