Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thought of the Day

There is this new reality show on either Lifetime or TLC called "Crazy, Sexy Cancer" about women who overcome cancer. Now I'm all about empowerment, but this just rubs me wrong. I've known a fair amount of cancer survivors, and there is nothing sexy about cancer. Losing your hair after chemo isn't sexy, vomiting your guts up after an adverse reaction to your drug cocktail isn't sexy, feeling like shit isn't sexy, and losing a body part is definitely not sexy.

And why does everything have to be sexy anyways. Are we such a society of babies that we have to glam up the reality of illness just to feel like we live in an okay world where everything has a happy ending?

Cancer is a shitty disease that some people live through and others don't. Attitude is a big part of surviving anything, but depending on your cancer, it's just a crap shoot. I think a better title for the show would have been, "Shitty Cancer and the Crazy, Sexy People Who Survive It."

2 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

My mate swears this is true.

His dad was diagnosed with a very aggresive cancer a few years back. His doc had already told him his time was limited. He went with my mate to see the doc and said -

"Allright. Tell me how long I...."

Nowt sexy about illness. Well...maybe the nurses?

Anonymous said...

I think that, being newly diagnosed with cancer myself, I understand her point in calling it that. It's a triumph to be able to still see yourself or your life as sexy or any other positive adverb, really, when you're going through cancer.

I think that the point is that most people tend to think of a cancer patient who is bald, sick and gaunt as being ugly or hard to look at, and maybe this is about trying to love yourself no matter what. When you're forced to face the idea that this disease could kill you, living fully becomes much more important. You don't want to waste your time feeling down on yourself, on top of everything else. Do you know what I mean?